- What is Quantum DOT?
- What is IPS (In-plane switching)?
- Quantum Dot Technology
- IPS (In-Plane Switching) Technology
- Advantages of Quantum DOT over IPS TV
- Advantages of IPS over Quantum DOT
- Disadvantages of Quantum DOT
- Disadvantages of IPS
- Top 3 Quantum DOT Monitors
- Top 3 IPS TVs
- Top 3 IPS Monitors
What is Quantum DOT?
Quantum-dot televisions are a new type of LED-backlit LCD TV with quantum-dot technology where the LEDs emit blue light. Quantum dots are tiny, and their size is determined by their color. Quantom dots in TVs come in two sizes, the “big” ones glow red, and they have a diameter of about 50 atoms and the smaller ones glow green and have a diameter of about 30 atoms.
What is IPS (In-plane switching)?
IPS or In-Plane Shaping is a screen technology that leverages liquid crystals aligned in parallel to produce rich colors for liquid crystal displays (LCDs). In-plane switching involves arranging and switching the orientation of the molecules of the liquid crystal (LC) layer between the glass substrates.
Quantum DOT Technology
In a quantum-dot television the blue LED light drives the blue hues of the picture and the red and green light is created by the quantum dots. The quantum dots are arranged in a tube—a “quantum rail”- adjacent to the LEDs or in a sheet of film atop the light-guide plate. The quantum dots main function is to emit one color. A quantum dot, when struck by light glows with a very specific color that can be finely tuned. When those blue LEDs shine on the quantum dots, the dots glow with a concentrated intensity. In a quantum-dot set very little light is wasted so you get brighter, more-saturated, and more-accurate colors.
IPS (In-Plane Switching) Technology
IPS panels are characterized as having the best color and viewing angles. IPS panels have a Wide Viewing Angle, No Color Wash from any angle and better view ability compared to VA Panel, great Color Accuracy because IPS projects the color close to real objects and is widely used in broadcasting, medical and professional designing. (Testing with Mcbeth24color chart, IPS shows the accurate color between input and output color signal). IPS panels also have a fast Liquid Crystal recovery property. Therefore, no flash occurs when touching the screen. The expansive viewing angles provided by IPS monitors help to deliver outstanding color when being viewed from different angles.
- Ultra HD Applications – QD displays offer enhanced color accuracy. Quantum dots produce light depending on their size and can be specifically tuned to produce a particular color of light that in turn, corresponds to a particular color. Better color accuracy, higher color saturation, wider contrast ratio, and higher peak brightness have made quantum dot technology ideal for producing displays capable of ultra-high definition.
- Longer Lifespan and Energy Efficiency – Quantum dot technology, when applied to LCDs ensures a longer lifespan.
- Wider and Promising Applications – The possible integration of quantum dot technology with other display technologies results in new applications including new-generation televisions, computer monitors and laptop displays, smartphones and other mobile devices, and other consumer electronic devices.
- Enhanced Color Reproduction – IPS LCD panels have supreme color reproduction that further translates into color accuracy and better image quality.
- Wide Viewing Angle – IPS LCD panels have no image distortion and relatively minimal color shifts when viewed from different angles while high-end IPS panels will display consistent contrast and brightness levels under different viewing angles.
- Better Sunlight Visibility – Unlike other display technologies, colors and images on an IPS panel have significantly more visibility under bright outdoor lights or direct sunlight.
- Longer Lifespan – As compared against typical TN panels IPS panels may have a longer lifespan.
- CdSe based quantum dots are highly toxic and require stable polymer shell.
- The shells can alter the optical properties and it is also hard to control size of the particles.
- Degradation of quantum dots inside the living organism has been studied.
- Overall conversion efficiency is lower.
- Lower temperature operation.
- Device production yield
- Poor blacks and Contrast Ratio – VA panels and AMOLED panels have better contrast ratio than IPS panels. Some IPS screens have poor blacks and contrast ratios unlike AMOLED screens.
- Inefficient Power Consumption – A standard IPS screen requires 15% more power than TN and it also requires a strong back-lighting to improve display clarity leading to higher power consumption and faster battery drainage.
- Slow Pixel Response Time – IPS technology has slow pixel response time and low refresh rate contributing to ghosting effects and motion blurs around a moving image which is s strain to the eyes.
- Production Cost and Market Price – Producing IPS screen displays is costly because of the involved engineering complexity.
Samsung C27HG70 27-Inch HDR QLED Quantum Dot Curved Gaming Monitor
Buy Samsung C27HG70
Samsung C27HG70 Specifications
- Color Support-1.07B
- Color Gamut (NTSC 1976)-Typ 88%, Min 84%
- Refresh rate 144Hz
- Response time 1M/s
- Power: AC 100~240V
Samsung C27HG70 AdvantagesAccording to the Samsung C27HG70 27-Inch HDR QLED Quantum Dot Curved Gaming Monitor reviews the monitor has bright whites and dark darks. The colors are vibrant thanks to Samsung’s Quantum Dot LED and 144hz refresh rate which makes any game run as smooth as butter.
The 1800r curvature of the Samsung C27HG70 27-Inch HDR QLED Quantum Dot Curved Gaming Monitor is subtle yet noticeable. It pulls you into the experience better than a flat monitor does. The menu interface navigates silky smooth thanks to the joystick on the easy to reach, bottom right corner. Games look more vibrant and run smoother than it ever has on a 4k monitor.
Samsung C27HG70 DisadvantagesThe main issue with this Samsung C27HG70 27-Inch HDR QLED Quantum Dot Curved Gaming Monitor is the panel quality. It looks plastic and smudgy, and when viewing a solid gradient (such as the blue sky in AC Origins or just the white of Windows 10) he can see a thin layer above the image.
Reviews confirm that Samsung C27HG70 27-Inch HDR QLED Quantum Dot Curved Gaming Monitor has terrible quality control. The monitor arrived with dead pixel right in the center of the screen and two clusters of dim pixels (one approximately 3×5 pixels in size and the other approximately 2×2 pixels in size) two thirds of the way down the screen, about an inch out from the screen’s left side.
Samsung C32H711 32-Inch WQHD QLED Curved Monitor
Buy Samsung C32H711 32-Inch WQHD QLED Curved Monitor
Samsung C32H711 32-Inch WQHD QLED Curved Monitor Specifications
- Brightness: 300cd/m2
- 1800R Curvature
- Refresh Rate: 60Hz
- Power supply type AC 100~240V
Samsung C32H711 32-Inch WQHD QLED Curved Monitor AdvantagesReviews mention that Samsung C32H711 32-Inch WQHD QLED Curved Monitor has great display for mixed productivity and casual gaming. The colors on this display are amazing! The Viewing Angles are very wide so you will not lose color and visuals by looking at different angles with this monitor! The 1800R Curvature of the Monitor makes it a great immersive monitor. If you like gaming, editing or watching videos – this monitor makes all of those things 10X better!
Samsung C32H711 32-Inch WQHD QLED Curved Monitor DisadvantagesUsers complain that the stand is a bit wobbly. Second, the way the HDMI and power cord is designed is hit or miss. If you’re going to connect with Mini Displayport, you have to run a separate cable (surprisingly, a Mini DP to DP cable is included, but the Mini DP to Mini DP that I needed was not).
The color accuracy of this monitor when connected to my Macbook was quite bad. The colors were always either dull or gray. Given the size of the display, the resolution feels far too low.
Samsung CJ791 34″ Thunderbolt 3 Curved QLED Widescreen Monitor
Buy Samsung CJ791
Samsung CJ791 Specifications
- Speakers – 2X7W
- Refresh rate – 100hz
- 2 X USB-C (TBT3), 1XHDMI, 1XDP, 2X USB 3.0 (down)
- Power Supply Type: AC 100~240VAC (±10%)
Samsung CJ791 34″ Thunderbolt 3 Curved QLED Widescreen Monitor AdvantagesHarry Armstrong says in his review that he is using it with a Macbook Pro 2017, you need to use the stock USB-C cable to connect it to the laptop and it charges his mac just fine. The image is great and he has no issues of letters being blurry or image quality being bad, it has a nice image quality and graphics and videos look nice too.
Bethany Cobb says he bought this monitor for 2 very specific purposes. First, he wanted to use it as the primary monitor for his 2018 Mac Mini and second is to use it as a monitor for his PS4. It works great for both purposes. The fact that it has speakers is really great. He adds that one especially cool feature is PBP where you can have 2 sources next to each other on the screen, which is awesome.
Samsung CJ791 34″ Thunderbolt 3 Curved QLED Widescreen Monitor DisadvantagesRoy Schmidt says “The second monitor shows 8 dead pixels and counting. It looks like Samsung has some serious QA issues with this model” Amber Wright says that the first monitor she received had 1 dead pixel and appeared ever so slightly darker on the right edge of the panel.
Panasonic 80 cm (32 inches) HD Ready IPS LED TV TH-32DS500D (Black) (2016 model)Buy Panasonic 32 inches HD Ready IPS LED TV TH-32DS500D
Panasonic 32 inches HD Ready IPS LED TV TH-32DS500D Specifications
- Resolution: HD Ready (1366x768p)
- Display: 400Hz BMR
- Sound: 20 Watts
Panasonic 32 inches HD Ready IPS LED TV TH-32DS500D AdvantagesMany users say it’s a wonderful television. The picture quality and sound quality is up to the mark. Ken Cannon writes that the picture quality is amazing, smart features are very good, sound quality is good.
Panasonic 32 inches HD Ready IPS LED TV TH-32DS500D DisadvantagesReviews suggest not to buy this LED as its smart TV functions doesn’t work at all. They say the mirroring is never successful in this LED.
Sanyo 43 Inches Full HD IPS LED TV XT-43S7300F
Buy Sanyo 109 cm (43 Inches) Full HD IPS LED TV XT-43S7300F
Sanyo 43 Inches Full HD IPS LED TV XT-43S7300F Specifications
- Resolution: Full HD (1920 x 1080p)
- Refresh rate: 60 hertz
- Sound: 16 Watts output
Sanyo 43 Inches Full HD IPS LED TV XT-43S7300F AdvantagesThe best part of the TV is it has IPS panel with true colour reproduction FULL HD (1920*1080) display. IPS panel produces brighter picture, enhances pic quality and gives greater viewing angles (up to 178 degree). It also has two HDMI ports, where one supports HDMI ARC. This is a great thing to carry your digital audio in case of connecting a home theatre.
Brandon Grant says he has used it with his PS4. The picture quality is really good like an expensive LED TV.
Sanyo 43 Inches Full HD IPS LED TV XT-43S7300F DisadvantagesBrittany Garner says in her review that the Sanyo XT-43S7300F is not a smart TV so it won’t support latest version video i.e. HEVC x265 video quality.
Fortex 32 inches HD Ready IPS LED Smart TV FX32INT01
Buy Fortex 32 inches HD Ready IPS LED Smart TV FX32INT01
Fortex 32 inches HD Ready IPS LED Smart TV FX32INT01 Specifications
- Resolution: HD Ready (1366×768)
- Refresh Rate: 60 hertz
- Sound: 20 W output
LG 22 inch IPS Monitor 22MP68VQBuy LG 22 inch IPS Monitor 22MP68VQ
LG 22 inch IPS Monitor 22MP68VQ Specifications
- Screen Size: 22 inch (54.61 cm) Full HD (1920 X 1080) Borderless IPS Panel
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9, Brightness (Typical): 250 cd/m²
- Refresh Rate: 60 Hz, Response Time: 5 ms
- Viewing Angle: 178 degrees horizontal 178 degrees vertical
LG 22 inch IPS Monitor 22MP68VQ Specifications AdvantagesFree sync is supported so if you are using an AMD graphics card, your refresh rate automatically shoots beyond the 60Hz limit. Reader/Custom modes are available. Prolonged exposure to vibrant and bright colors is not always the best fit for programming but this monitor takes care of that.
Cecil Nunez says it comes with a decent HDMI male-to-male connector. The cable quality might not be world-class but does a decent job of responsive video data transfer, when it comes to quick display changes (like gaming).
LG 22 inch IPS Monitor 22MP68VQ Specifications DisadvantagesNo horizontal swivel. This is a minor nice-to-have feature. However, the monitor does have adjustable vertical swiveling, which makes up for the missing feature.
The main monitor control button (at the bottom base) is a little cumbersome to handle.
HP 21.5 inch Edge to Edge LED Backlit Computer Monitor – Full HD, IPS Panel with VGA, HDMI Ports – 22ES
Buy HP 21.5 inch Edge to Edge LED Backlit Computer Monitor 22ES
HP 21.5 inch Edge to Edge LED Backlit Computer Monitor 22ES Specifications
- Input connector:1 VGA,1 HDMI (with HDCP support)
- Input voltage: 100-240 VAC at 50 – 60 Hz
- Power consumption: 21W maximum, 20W typical Standby mode: < 0.3W
- Power consumption (on-mode)-18 W
- Power consumption-26 kWh
- 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
HP 21.5 inch Edge to Edge LED Backlit Computer Monitor 22ES Pros and ConsWhile the monitor is really nice looking, sharp colors and picture quality, and energy efficient. One user reported that the monitor worked for a few days then the display started having problems – green dots or pink lines all over the screen.
BenQ GW2480, 24 inch Eye Care, IPS Panel
Buy HP 21.5 inch Edge to Edge LED Backlit Computer Monitor 22ES
BenQ GW2480, 24 inch Eye Care, IPS Panel Specifications
- Screen Size: 23.8 inch (60.4 cm) Full HD (1920 X 1080) Edge to Edge IPS Panel
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Brightness (Typical): 250 cd/m²
- Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
- Response Time: 5 ms
- Viewing Angle: 178 degrees horizontal 178 degrees vertical